DIY Hanging Macrame Planters

on
1.26.2015


I love plants.

Can't find something to add a little color to a corner in your house?
Slap down potted plant!

Can't figure out what to put on a shelf?
A little cactus will bring that space to life!

Succulents and other dry lovin' plants have been all over the place lately. I love myself a good cacti. Who doesn't love a plant that you only have to water occasionally? I can't tell you how many plants I have killed. Yes, I have even killed a succulent....or two. However, I recently decided to tackle my fear of killing plants and purchased three lovely house plants.

Now what to do with them?

I started scouring the web for plant hangings & came across  these hanging planters. I loved them. So so much. However, there were a few issues I encountered:

1. I couldn't find round plastic fishbowls in stores to save my life. (I know, I know....there is online shopping. But, for some reason I was impatient and wanted the instant satisfaction of purchasing bowls RIGHT NOW. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this?)

2. I wanted to incorporate a "softer" look to hang my planters. (i.e. I didn't want to do a metal chain)

3. They used cute little succulents. (which we have established that I love, but I'm branching out...remember? plant pun intended.)

4. The bowls were tilted so the opening was facing you...obviously I couldn't do that with the plants I purchased.

The answer to my problems? 
Macrame. 
(My Grandma would be so proud...she loved herself some macrame.)

I looked up a little tutorial on how to tie knots and hang macrame on YouTube. Let me tell you...easy, easy, EASY! If you can tie a few basic knots and can braid...you can make these simplified macrame plant hangers.

What you will need for this project:


3 plants of your choice 
I used Ferns. Croton Petra Dieffenbachia Exotica in the smallest size available. They were $2.98 each)

Potting Soil.

3 bowls/pots of your choice  
I used glass bowls i found at a local party store. They were about $5 each. (I strategically purchased glass bowls so i would be able to see if the plants were needing some H20....before they turn yellow and die.)


Scissors


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Step 1: 
Cut 6 pieces of rope that are about 4-5 feet each. It's important to make sure they are all the same length. The rope may fray where you cut. You can either tape the ends with clear gift tape, or burn the ends with a lighter.
(I burned the ends of my rope. Secretly, because I like the process of melting the rope...but it does leave the ends of the rope brown. I liked the look of the ends being different colors, but that's just me.)

Step 2:
Gather your six pieces and tie a knot at the end leaving a few inches at the bottom for a tassel.

Step 3: 
Split the ropes into 3 sections, 2 ropes each.

Step 4:
About an inch below your tassel knot, tie a double knot on each 2 strand section.

Step 5:
Repeat on the other two sections.

Step 6:
Lay your piece flat and place your bowl/pot in the center. Gather the rope around the outside to make sure the bowl/pot lies steady. 

Step 7:
Tie a knot at the top of the planter and braid or twist the remaining strands until your planter is as long as you would like it to hang.

Step 8 :
You are ready to hang your plants now! Screw in the eye bolts into the ceiling. Be sure that if you are screwing directly into drywall, and not into a stud, the hole will need to be reinforced.)

Step 9: 
Loop your strands through the eye bolt and tie a square knot. Trim any excess pieces.



TAAAA DAAAA!!! I told you it was easy :)

XO-Elle

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment