Reflection & Gratitude

on
11.11.2012
I really wish i would have kept a journal (or a blog) during my years away at college.
Why didn't i?!
I wish i could read back on feelings i had....
...and remember all of those old experiences like they happened today.

Yesterday BJ, Bridget and I went to Trio (sooooo delicious) and we all sat and talked about relationships, both new and old. As we talked, the topic of how much "the ex" changed/shaped our lives (for good and bad) was brought up. Each of us has had a long term relationship prior to our current ones. (Dating, Engaged and Married). I feel like a lot of people (okaaay, mayyyybe just people in the movies) look back at an ex boyfriend and only remember the worst things. It's so easy to. There was a reason things didn't work out with you and that person for a reason, right? But for some reason during the holidays (and especially today for me 11/11) I find myself really looking back and wishing now (2 1/2 years later) that i could somehow say thank you to that person.

So this is it.
A big ol' THANK YOU to an ex.

Dear Ex,

I want to say thank you for helping me learn that patience is key and that relationships take a lot of work. I now am able to hold patience in times where i would have exploded in stressful situations. I want to say thank you for helping me get out of my own little bubble and see the world in different shades. I now look at my current life with all the excitement the world has to offer. I am grateful for you making me try new foods, because curry is now in my top 5 favorite meals. I am thankful for the time and friendship that we developed.    Because of this, i eventually was able to sort out my priorities in life, and discover what i truly wanted in my future companion. I'm thankful for you embracing my weirdness...because i knew that the man i married would love it even more.

I can't even begin to explain how grateful i am for Jarrick. I know that he was put back into my life right at a time when i needed him the very most. He is the person i am able to go to with any problem, big or small. He is the only person on this planet that gets me...100%. He can distinguish any emotion i may have just by a simple facial expression. Not only do i get to have him as my companion, i get to have him as my best friend for eternity. How lucky can one girl be?

He is the chocolate chips in my cookie....he just makes life better.


I know that if i hadn't had that experience before reconnecting with Jarrick, i would not be who i was/am. I wouldn't have been ready. I wouldn't have known EXACTLY what traits and characteristics were so important to me for a husband. Overall, i would have missed out on the greatest person that has ever come into my life. For that reason, I owe that ex person a lot. So Thank You.

I'm a real lucky lady to get this guy all to myself for forevsies. :)


1 comment on "Reflection & Gratitude"